Blackheads are like whiteheads, only uglier and more unsightly. If you have multiple areas on your face that are filled with blackheads, you’re probably looking for a simple way to get rid of them. The good news is that there are ways to not only clear your face of blackheads, there are also some preventive measures you can take to inhibit their formation in the first place. We’ll cover how blackheads form and give you five different easy to make preparations to help you combat them.
What is a Blackhead and How to Remove One Fast?
A blackhead is actually an area of the skin that has a little opening in it. These openings get filled with bacteria, sebum oil and different types of skin debris. These pore openings in your skin allow air to oxidize all that stuff that is inside. This oxidation is what turns your blackhead a black color. If there is not a big enough opening in your skin pore to allow oxidation, then you have a whitehead. Blackheads are even more unsightly than whiteheads, which is why people want to remove them.
Where Do Blackheads Accumulate?
People tend to get blackheads in areas where they accumulate the most oil on their face. These problem areas for most people are going to be the forehead and the skin around the nose and chin. The best way to avoid getting blackheads is to wash your face every single morning and night. Washing your face regularly will help clear up the oil, debris and bacteria that tends to build up during the day. If you already have blackheads, then you’re probably more concerned on how to treat them.
5 Natural Blackhead Treatments to Extracting a Blackhead
Let’s talk about how to remove blackheads from your face using products that you probably already have in either your kitchen or bathroom. The only two of the following ingredients you might not have are charcoal and clay powder. Since there’s concern about using artificial ingredients on the skin, the following formulations all emphasize getting rid of blackheads with only natural products.
Toothpaste and Baking Soda Cream
You can use ordinary toothpaste together with baking soda to create a blackhead removing cream. It’s a simple formula that you can mix up in less than a minute.
First, use a warm washcloth and use it to apply firm pressure to areas where you have blackheads. By pressing the warm washcloth against your pores, it’s going to open them up and help speed up the extraction process.
1. Prepare a mask using 1 Tbsp of baking powder, 1 Tbsp of toothpaste and 1 tsp of water.
2. Once you have your ingredients mixed, gently apply it to your nose, forehead, cheeks and any areas where you have blackheads. After you apply the mask, use an old dampened toothbrush to make small circular motions all over the area where you’ve applied the blackhead mixture.
3. Wipe off your homemade mask using a warm washcloth. You want to use warm water in this step because you want to keep these pores open.
4. Use a gentle cleanser to wash away any baking powder or toothpaste that’s left on your face.
5. Now it’s time to extract the blackheads. Place two fingers inside a warm washcloth and start pressing the skin around your blackheads with your towel-covered fingers. This step will help coax them out. The mask should make it easier for the blackheads to be extracted.
6. As a final step, it’s a good idea to replenish your skin using a lightweight moisturizer.
The mixture baking soda, toothpaste and water works great as an exfoliant. This toothpaste and baking soda method is quite effective and is ideally repeated every week as sebum builds up.
Egg White Mask
An egg white mask uses egg whites to temporarily tighten pores, which can remove existing blackheads and minimize the chances of blackheads appearing in the future. Egg whites have numerous beneficial skin properties as well.
• Egg whites are full of nutrients that are great for your skin.
• The albumin in egg whites can help control oily skin.
• Egg whites can help remove facial hair.
• Regular use of egg white masks can help smooth wrinkles.
To make an egg white mask, you’ll need one egg, some toilet paper and a brush to apply the mask to your face.
1. Separate the egg white from the yolk and apply a thin layer onto your skin.
2. Before the egg white has a chance to dry, take a little piece of toilet paper and press it right on top of where you put the egg white.
3. On top of that initial egg white and toilet paper layer, you are going to put another layer of toilet paper and repeat the process again. You can repeat this layering a few more times.
4. After you have multiple layers piling up on your problem areas, let it sit there and dry for about five minutes.
5. After the toilet paper is dry, go ahead and peel it away.
Honey and Milk Pore Strips
Honey has antibacterial properties, making it a great ingredient for your skin. Milk has lactic acid, which helps breaks down dead skin. Add the two together, and you get a good base for treating blackheads. The cotton strip will be used to gently coax the blackheads off after the milk and honey cream dries. For this blackhead treatment, you’ll need to gather 1 Tbsp of raw honey, 1 Tbsp of milk and a strip of cotton.
1. Mix the honey together with the milk.
2. Microwave the mixture for five seconds.
3. Apply a generous portion right onto your problem areas.
4. Take the cotton pad and press it directly on top of where you applied your layer of milk and honey. Let it sit for about 15 minutes.
Remove the cotton pad from your skin.
5. Wash off your face with warm water.
6. Apply a moisturizer to your skin since it may be a bit dry after applying the milk and honey.
Lemon water is a great way to shrink your pores. Lemon is a natural toner that can restore your skin’s PH balance. Lemon, like honey, is antibacterial as well. Simply squeeze 1 part lemon juice into five parts water. You’ll want to use this as your everyday toner. It will work as a natural astringent that will help shrink down your pores. By shrinking your pores, you’ll prevent blackheads before they start.
If you’re looking to get rid of blackheads, you’ll want to look at using a clay mask. Many of these mask formulations are made out of bentonite clay. This type of clay hardens up on your skin and helps draw out impurities. Bentonite clay will also help improve the overall circulation and health of your skin. A detoxifying mud mask is great to keep in your bathroom as it’s very easy to use straight out of the jar. If you’re using a powdered clay, you can add apple cider vinegar to make an even more potent mud mask. Clay masks dry on your face and do a great job of soaking up all the gunk and debris that ends up on your face.
DIY Charcoal Peel-off Mask
Here’s a mask that uses charcoal powder mixed in with glue. The mask stiffens as it dries, and you peel it off in one piece. The mask should gently lift your blackheads off your face.
1. Mix 1 Tbsp of charcoal powder with approximately 1 Tbsp of white all purpose glue.
2. After the charcoal is thoroughly mixed into the glue, apply the mixture onto your face. Avoid any spots that have hair, as the mask will adhere to it and make it painful when you peel it off.
3. Wait approximately a half an hour. The mask should sink into your pores while it dries.
4. After the mask is dry, slowly lift off the mask. Peel the mask slowly upward until it comes off your face.
5. Use a warm cloth to wipe off any residue left behind.
If you look inside your mask, you should see remnants of the blackheads that have been lifted off your face.
Do Blackhead Strips Work?
If you want to get rid of those pesky blackheads, you might be tempted by those blackhead strips you can pick up over the counter at the pharmacy. There’s some controversy on whether those strips are useful. Some people even say that they cause blackheads to develop quicker instead of remedying the problem. There are many brands of over the counter products (like Biore strips) that promise to remove blackheads. They use tape or some sticky surface that you apply to your skin and then pull off. It’s easy to think that it works because you see your blackheads right there on the tape. The problem is it’s only getting the top layer. Blackhead strips don’t get down deep where the problem is. If you want to try over the counter products to help with your blackheads, try using some skincare products and cleansers that advertise blackhead treatment. You have to use the right acne treatments that go beyond tape strips if you want to get down to the root level of your pores to solve your blackhead problem.
We hope we’ve given you some ideas on how to prevent and treat your blackheads.
Whatever formulation you choose, remember to keep your face clean and moisturized. If you take care of your face, it will reward you with improved beauty and confidence.